Sunday, March 27, 2022

Module 11: Speaking and Spoken Interaction

 Google: drive, docs, pub


The speaking was based on the textbook Impact 3, page 131: Speaking Strategy.

This is labelled as a speaking lesson in the textbook, however I do have my doubts as to whether it is truly a speaking lesson, or if it is more of a functional language lesson.  The lesson revolves around learning and practicing phrases for feelings and opinions.  I believe my former Celta tutor would have classified this as a language lesson instead of a speaking lesson, and yet in my experience a lot of speaking lessons from textbooks are heavily based on functional language.  Perhaps the distinction between speaking lessons and functional language lessons is not clear cut. 

In the early stages of the lesson (see full plan below) I introduced the functional language and moved into a controlled practice.  

Then we got into a speaking activity with the less controlled practice, which was the speaking game from page 173.  In theory, this would have allowed the students to practice speaking by orally responding to the prompts, but it was largely a failure.  The textbook used a lot of prompts that the students had difficulty responding to because they were outside the students’ knowledge and interests.  Some of the more motivated students did their best to form responses anyway, and although there was some use of the target language, there was no extended speech.  I should have adapted this before the class by changing the prompts.

The freer practice went much better  The students found the task engaging, which was good.  They had some extended conversation with their partner as they not only used the functional language to ask and express opinions, but also in many cases argued their preferences with each other. 

In my opinion, the final activity was a success because it had a communicative outcome (the students had to find things in common to complete the task), and because it was personalized (the students were able to talk about their own likes and dislikes).

Some of the students got so into the task that they forgot to use the functional language we had practiced, but I think this was alright since they were definitely working on their speaking fluency.  I tried to remind them to use the functional language as I monitored, but upon reflection perhaps this was a mistake.  After all, the lesson was labelled as a speaking lesson, not a lexis lesson.  

On the whole, the students were satisfied with the lesson because they had an opportunity to practice speaking, and had also learned some language to use for expressing their feelings and opinions.

Although I was happy with this lesson, if I had carte blanche to do it again, I would have the lesson focus more on general fluency and less on pre-selected functional language.  I would listen to what language the students were already using, and then try to upgrade their language.  I would also like to run the final activity as a pyramid discussion--students could repeat the task several times as pairs become groups, and then groups become the whole class.  Each time they would have to find things in common that the whole group could agree on.  This would allow more speaking practice, and also allow me to give feedback and upgrade the language in between each repetition. 


Lesson Plan: 

Aims: For students to develop their speaking fluency in the context of talking about feelings and opinions

Sub aim: to learn the functional language for speaking about feelings and opinons

Lead-in

The students talk to a partner about what kind of music they like

Orientation to model text

The teacher sets up the characters and the situation in the model listening

Gist listening

Students listen to the audio.  They answer the question “What music do they decide to listen to”?

Detail listening

Students listen to the audio again.  They answer 4 detail questions.

Noticing target language

Students are given a partial transcript of the listening with the target language gapped out.  They must listen again and write in the target language.  Play the audio multiple times if needed.  Answers are confirmed in open class feedback and by handing out the complete transcript

Noticing meaning of target language

Students sort target language into two boxes “Asking for feelings and Opinions” and “Expressing Feelings and Opinions”.  Pair check, and then answers are confirmed in open class feedback.

Confirmation of target language meaning

Students open their book to page 131.  They look at the chart at the top of the page for confirmation of the meaning.  They listen to audio track 104, and read and listen to the target language

Drilling

Oral drilling of target language

controlled practice

Students read the dialogue, and complete the gaps with functional language from the target language on page 131

less controlled practice

Students go to page 173 in the back of the book.  They move around the game board, and take turns responding to the prompts with functional language

Freer practice

Students work in pairs.  They talk to a partner to find out what things they have in common.  They have to find out 3 things they’re both crazy about, and 3 things that they can’t stand.

Material


Listen again and answer the questions

1. When is the jazz concert?


2. Why is Alice crazy about hip-hop?


3. Who gives the boy vinyl records?


4. Where are they going to mix up some songs?


S1: Hey, Alice. (1)_________________ going to a jazz concert on Saturday afternoon? I have two tickets.

S2: Well, (2)_________________  jazz.

S1: Really? That’s too bad. I thought it would be fun. 

S2: It’s all right, I guess. (3)_________________ .

S1: Well, (4)_________________ .? 

S2: (5)_________________ . hip-hop because I love dancing.

S1: Yeah, (6)_________________ . of hip-hop, too! 

S2: Do you have a lot of hip-hop music?

S1: Yeah. In fact, I have some vinyl records with hip-hop. My uncle’s a DJ, so he gets them for me. (7)_________________ . on mixing up some songs on his turntable? 

S2: Sounds like fun!


S1: Hey, Alice. What do you think about going to a jazz concert on Saturday afternoon? I have two tickets.

S2: Well, I’m not wild about jazz.

S1: Really? That’s too bad. I thought it would be fun. 

S2: It’s all right, I guess. It’s just not my favorite.

S1: Well, what is your favorite? 

S2: I’m crazy about hip-hop because I love dancing.

S1: Yeah, I’m a big fan of hip-hop, too! 

S2: Do you have a lot of hip-hop music?

S1: Yeah. In fact, I have some vinyl records with hip-hop. My uncle’s a DJ, so he gets them for me. What are your thoughts on mixing up some songs on his turntable? 

S2: Sounds like fun!



Language for asking for feelings and opinions

Language for expressing feelings and opinions








No comments: